wind: 22mph NE
H 62 • L 57
The Springfield Fire Company is responsible for the fire protection and fire prevention of approximately 25,000 citizens in the 6.2 square mile area of Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Ask to speak with a Line Officer.
The township is comprised of residential neighborhoods, commercial properties, and small industrial facilities all situated in a quiet suburban setting. Operating out of the five-bay, modern fire station at 217 Saxer Avenue, Springfield Fire Company currently utilizes six pieces of apparatus and two chiefs vehicles. You will find this site a very informative and enjoyable place to learn more about the Springfield Fire Company. So grab a comfortable chair and be ready to explore the web site of one of the best firefighting organizations in the nation.
Springfield Fire Company
217 Saxer Ave.
Springfield, PA 19064
On June 10, 1920, the Springfield Fire Company was chartered in the Court of Common Pleas of Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
From the early days of operation out of the one bay fire house at the corner of Powell Road and Saxer Avenue to the modern day, state-of-the-art facility at 217 Saxer Avenue, the Springfield Fire Company has always provided the highest level of fire protection and fire prevention for the citizens of Springfield Township and surrounding communities. As the Members of Springfield Fire Company continue to move on and improve upon what their founding fathers started, the Company Motto of “Ad Serviendum Dedicatus” (Dedicated to Serving) will serve as a guide to all the individuals that give their time and devotion to making the Springfield Fire Company the best of the best.
In 1920 Springfield Township was mostly all farms, the smallest property was one acre, but that was rare – for 75 to 120 acres were generally the size.
It was on March 2, 1920 that a dozen men met at the home of D. Britton Chambers, of Rolling (now numbered 19 S. Rolling Road), and passed a resolution “that the gentlemen present proceed with the formation of a volunteer fire company to be known as the Springfield Fire Company, and that immediate steps be taken to obtain a charter.”
Progress was put on hold during World War II and a shortage of manpower became a serious problem for the fire company. To alleviate this shortage, the fire company’s by-laws were changed to allow men to join at the age of 16 rather than 18 years of age. The fire alarm system was expanded during the war, with the addition of 5 air-raid sirens around the township. In addition to their use for Civil Defense, these sirens were also used to notify the members of a fire.
In 1963, due to increasing need for ambulance service and the desire of the Ambulance Corps to add an additional ambulance and nurses to the organization, the Corps requested to separate from the Fire Company and obtain their own charter. The fire company sold the vacant lot on Saxer Avenue, that they had maintained ownership of since 1920, to the township so they could provide an area for the Ambulance Corps to construct a building. The first ambulance building was constructed in 1963, from Ambulance Corps funds, and turned over to the township to maintain as a township building. The Ambulance Corps used that building until the present complex was constructed in 1981.
The official ground breaking for the seven bay station (five for the Fire Company – two for the Ambulance Corps) took place on July 31, 1980, and the Fire Company and Ambulance Corps moved into their new quarters in July of 1981. This came after several days of demolition of the old stone firehouse, which was closely watched by many members of the fire company.